Donna Liu Ashworth 劉秀敏
Donna was born in Taiwan and studied sociology in Tung Hai University before she moved to the US in 1986. Taking care of her family has always been her priority in life. On top of teaching language classes, she also enjoys the coffee culture. She has been working for a coffee giant for quite some time.
- 1992 - 1997 Taught Mandarin Chinese in Richmond Chinese School (RCS).
- 1997 - 2002 Family relocated to HK, Donna earned two teaching certificates from Hong Kong University School of continuing education on subjects of Putonghua teaching and teaching Chinese as a second language. Donna was employed by Kumon educational Institute as a Chinese language teacher during the period of living in Hong Kong.
- 2003 - 2014 After moving back from HK to the US, Donna continued to teach in RCS.
- 2004 - 2008 Taught Mandarin Chinese to the engineering department at Hamilton Beach/Proctor-Silex corporation.
- 2009 - Currently serving as a Mandarin interpreter for C&M Multilingual Inc.
- 2014 - 2016 Relocated to Mainland China.
- 2017 - 2021 Served as the principal of RCS.
- 2021 - Served as the adult conversation class teacher
- 2022 - Serves as the principal of RCS
Katy Yuan 阮麗慧
Intermediate Class Teacher
Katy was born and raised in Richmond, VA. She also spent many years living and working in Taiwan. Katy previously taught in the Richmond Chinese School from 2008 to 2013 before she moved to Taiwan. In 2021, she moved back to Richmond and rejoined the RCS family. Outside of teaching at RCS, she works full-time as a Certification Manager at the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners. Katy also enjoys recreating her grandmother's Hakka recipes.
Ruby Huang 黄瑜如
Elementary Class Teacher
Yu-Ju (Ruby) started her studies in Business Administration from Shih Chien University, Taipei, Taiwan and earned her Master’s degree from Indiana University of Pennsylvania. She has many years of experience in Business Administration and Marketing. Ruby is very sociable and is passionate about teaching Chinese and learning about different cultures. She homeschooled her children in Traditional Chinese and manages a Chinese learning group providing opportunities for people to learn Chinese.
Mary Kuo 侯上慧
ShangHuei (Mary) has been involved with the Richmond Chinese School in different roles as teacher, board member or principal from 1994 to 2014. She returned to RCS as a board member to help the school moving towards a sustainable future.
Winny Chen 陳慧予
Winny volunteer as the Richmond Chinese School Treasurer starting since 2021. She is also as an Auditor for the state of Virginia. Winny taught the Adult I at RCS previously. She enjoys working with the students, faculties and the school. Winny hopes students enjoy the learning experience and are able make new friendships among them.
Winny welcomes everyone joining the RCS!
Jason Maa 馬德明
Jason Maa was from Taipei, Taiwan and has been to the US for 37 years and living at Richmond for 34 years. He is also a parent of a student. His son has been coming to the Richmond Chinese school for 5 years now. Jason currently works for the Amstedrail at Petersburg as an Inventory specialist. He hopes to see everyone having fun in learning Chinese here at the RCS.